I love this lasagna for 3 reasons.
- It’s delicious, otherwise why bother?
- This is practically a dairy-free lasagna, so very low in fat and easy to digest. If you are allergic to milk protein (or someone in your family is) just leave out the small amount of grated parmesan that I put in the ‘cream’ sauce.
- I get to spiralize courgettes (zucchini). I love using my spiralizer – I feel like a kid again and it makes me laugh.
You can serve it alone, as a vegetarian dish, or grill some chicken breasts next to it in the oven.
Ingredients for 4
- 4 chicken breasts
- 2 courgettes sliced thinly or with blade A using a spiralizer
- 800 g (280oz or 2lbs) of spinach leaves
- 400 g (14oz) of silky tofu
- 1-2 tablespoons of cream (soya or almond or rice)
- 1 large egg
- 30 gr (1oz) of shredded parmesan
- 1 tablespoon of olive oil
- 1 crushed garlic clove (or 1 inch of garlic paste)
- 2 cans of diced tomatoes
- a handful of basil leaves
- Salt & pepper
- Preheat oven to 180°c (375° F).
- Start with the tomato sauce. In a saucepan heat the oil (add an equal amount of water) and add the garlic and onion. Cook for 1-2 minutes. Add the tomatoes, basil leaves, salt and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- While the tomato sauce is cooking, mix together the ingredients for the cream sauce in a bowl.
- Heat a wok or large saucepan and sauté the spinach for about 2 minutes with a spoonful of water.
- In a large baking pan, cover the bottom with the drained lightly salted spinach.
- Pour half of the tomato sauce evenly over followed by the cream sauce.
- Spread the courgettes evenly over, and salt and pepper lightly. Drizzle with olive oil.
- Spread the rest of the tomato and cream sauce over.
- Lightly sprinkle salt, pepper and rosemary on the chicken breasts and put them in a non stick baking pan.
- Place them in oven next to lasagna. They should be ready at about same time as the vegetable lasagna.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes.