Don’t hesitate cooking large amounts of soup so that you have a lot left over. I like keeping some in the fridge and serving myself a bowl before I start preparing dinner after a long day. It’s a great alternative to high fat / high sugar snacks. I also like freezing individual portions for future quick and easy lunches.
In this particular recipe, I find the leek gives this soup extra creaminess and the ginger and the cumin turns ordinary carrot soup into something really special!
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tablespoon of grated ginger
- 1 finely diced sweet onion
- 1-2 teaspoons of cumin
- 1 kg (+/- 2 lbs) of peeled chopped carrots
- 1 chopped leak
- 1300 ml (5.5 cups) chicken stock (organic stock preferably!)
- 2 tablespoons of chopped coriander
- Cook the garlic, the onion and the ginger for 30 seconds in olive oil and a little water.
- Add the cumin and mix with the carrots and leak for 30 seconds.
- Pour the chicken stock over the vegetables. Cook for 20-25 minutes.
- Mix and add salt and pepper.
- Season with coriander and serve.