This recipe is a spin off of your classic mozzarella and tomato salad. Mozzarella cheese has a high fat content, like most cheeses, so eating it with bread or pasta isn’t ideal for weight loss. In addition, many of us are either allergic or intolerant to dairy products, so I decided to replace mozzarella with tofu. A lot of people are afraid they’re not going to like recipes with tofu. Tofu is really easy to use but has little taste to it. It takes whatever flavor you prepare it with, which is why I sauté it in a bit of garlic before mixing it with the tomatoes and adding pesto for extra taste. You can easily have this for lunch (prepare it the night before and pop it in a Tupperware) with 2 slices of whole grain or protein bread or alternatively cook the recommended amount of pasta (80gr or around 2.3 oz. per person) and eat it as a pasta dish.
Ingredients for 2
- 1 Tbsp of olive oil and water
- 2 chopped or crushed garlic cloves
- 250 gr (9 oz or ½ lb) of firm tofu (strained and cut into cubes)
- 250 gr (9 oz or ½ lb) of cherry tomatoes
- 4 tsp of good quality verde pesto (homemade or organic)
- Heat garlic and tofu in a skillet with the oil and water for 4 minutes
- Remove from heat and add the tomatoes and the pesto.
- Salt and pepper
- Serve either with protein bread (2 slices per person) if it’s a no carb lunch or with pasta (80 g/2.5 oz per person) or 2 slices of whole grain bread if it’s a carb lunch
Wok or skillet (frying pan)