With Christmas around the corner, I’m thinking that this might be a good time to pull out a recipe without meat to help keep things balanced. Replacing meat with tofu is a great way of lowering your animal fat intake, improving your health and keeping the grocery bills down! The carrot puree, with a dash of sesame oil, is sublime with the flavorful tofu steak and mushroom sauce. I served it up with steamed broccoli sprinkled with olive oil, salt and pepper, but if broccoli isn’t your thing, just replace it with another veg (salad, green beans, endives, leaks, cauliflower and the list goes on). The key is having two vegetables, and one of them that resembles a carb, which is why I’ve pureed the carrots. There’s no getting around it, most of us have been programmed visually, from childhood, to expect a trio in our plate – meat, potato and veg. This is a way of satisfying your visual expectations, taste buds and health!
Ingredients for 2
- 1 TBSP of olive oil and water
- 14 ounces (400 gr) of firm and drained tofu
- 1.1 lbs (500 gr) of mushrooms (mixed or seasonal) loosely chopped
- 3 TBSP of mirin (Japanese condiment) or dry white wine with a teaspoon of sugar
- 3 TBSP of soya sauce
- 1/2 a cup of vegetable broth or dashi
- 1 thinly sliced garlic clove (or a ½ inch of garlic paste)
- 1 broccoli head cut in florets
- 1 bunch of peeled and cut carrots
- 1 TBSP of soya cream
- 1 TBSP of cold pressed sesame oil
- 1 TBSP of cold pressed walnut oil
- 1 tsp of powdered cumin, salt, pepper
- In a small pan, add soya sauce, the broth and the mirin on low heat for 15 minutes.
- Steam the broccoli florets for approx. 8 minutes ( it’s better when the broccoli stays firm) and the carrots a bit longer so that they are cooked through. Salt, pepper and douse the broccoli with olive oil. Cover and put aside.
- Mix the carrots with a bit of cooking water, olive oil, cream of soya, sesame oil, cumin, salt, pepper. Cover and put aside.
- Sautée the mushrooms in the garlic and oil for 4 to 5 minutes and hold to the side.
- Add another douse of olive oi and water and sautée the tofu steaks for several minutes on each side.
- Deglaze with the sauce and add the mushrooms.
- Sprinkle with chives